Tuesday, July 2, 2013

crawdading 101

crawdading


Crawdading 101. 
1. Get a string.
2. Tie some fish guts to the end of your string.
3. Hover your fish guts along the bottom of a stream.
4. Pull the string out of the river when the crawdads take the bait.

I'm kinda fascinated by the brainless way crawdads work.  Their crusty blue claws fight and grab and cling to the bait; an impulsive, instinctual reflex.  Clutching, gripping, pinching.  Completely strung out and oblivious to being pulled from their watery beds and laid to rest in the bottom of my kids bucket.  It's as if they want to be caught.  They don't know how to let go of the fish guts until they hit the bucket floor.  And, that's when they notice it's too late.  They've been duped, trapped, bushwhacked and boiled with cayenne pepper!

"Don't take the bait" my 12-step sponsor warned.
I knew what she meant.
I knew she was right,
but I couldn't help but take the bait.

Mr. Scabs would hover the right kind of fish guts in front of my nose and I'd take the bait. It was an impulsive, instinctual reflex. Clutching, gripping, pinching.  I was completely strung out and oblivious to being pulled from my peace and being laid to rest in the bottom of a dirty bucket.  I was duped, trapped, bushwhacked and boiled with cayenne pepper!

I took the bait almost every single time. Honestly!!

The remedy to this has been the simplest boundary: "I'm sorry, I won't get involved in this kind of conversation with you."

Then the hardest part...walk away from those fish guts and don't look back.







6 comments:

  1. Gosh. This just happened to me on Friday. He dangled, I resisted. But I stared at the bait. He dangled some more and I just couldn't walk away. Finally I bit and I cried and cussed at myself in the bottom of that dirty bucket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the worst kind of hangover, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! Great analogy. Hopefully it will help me see it for what it is, nasty fish guts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh - sorry - I understand the English language very well..been speaking it my whole life...ha...but I don't understand the analogy. I understand perfectly what you wrote - you write quite well! What I mean is - I wish, so sorry, you could have stated what he dangled... Maybe my spouse dangles things and I miss them?? Thanks, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about it! Sometimes I only make sense to myself. What I mean to say is that sometimes during conversations we dangle words or actions that we know will insight some kind of emotion, this is usually how arguments begin and other hurt feelings. Ya know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about it! Sometimes I only make sense to myself. What I mean to say is that sometimes during conversations we dangle words or actions that we know will insight some kind of emotion, this is usually how arguments begin and other hurt feelings.

    cheap rs gold
    Billig WOW Gold Kaufen
    cheap blade and soul gold

    ReplyDelete

hi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting