Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Eve

credit

Hello!

On the eve of the holiday of thanksgiving and gratitude I must share what I am thankful for.

I am thankful for all of you.  I'm thankful to those who email and share your stories.  I'm thankful for your comments, your concern, your love, your empathy.  I am thankful you feel brave.  I'm thankful you reach out.    I'm thankful that we are becoming whole.  I'm thankful for those who read silently and know that they are not alone.  I'm thankful for every word you express.

I'm thankful for the breath that, without thought, fills my lungs and allows me to live.

Just a few days ago, I saw and heard something that glued my broken heart.  A woman I know, who is turning 74 today, spread out this seasons harvest of her garden on the table.  There were bottles of canned apricots,  pickles and tomatoes.  There was fresh kale, garlic and radishes.

She held a bottle of her pickles close to her heart and shook as she shared her deepest thanks,

 "The Lord is so kind, but sometimes He expects a lot from us."

There is so much to be thankful for.  He is so kind and He does expect a lot from us.

Love,
            *Scabs

--------------------------------

{I want to share a Scab's family favorite Thanksgiving recipe}


Chunky Garlic Mashed Potatoes
of 
Outrageous Deliciousness

3 lbs. of Yukon Gold potatoes
1 whole garlic bulb
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
2 Tbsp. horseradish
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp.pepper
Fresh thyme leaves

Chop up your potatoes.  Peal and separate your garlic then boil them in a large saucepan till the potatoes are tender.  About 15-20 minutes.

While your potatoes are boiling, heat up the butter and cream in a small sauce pan.  Be sure not to scald, just keep the mixture melty warm. Don't be afraid of the butter and cream---this is just once a year (or maybe twice).

Next, drain your potatoes and garlic. Add horseradish, salt, pepper and butter mixture; then mash it up!  Mash it till it's chunky or whip it till it's smooth and creamy, these are your potatoes!  Garnish with the fresh thyme, build a mash potato dam or volcano and fill it with your favorite Thanksgiving gravy.  

Enjoy responsibly.




6 comments:

  1. Thank you! This was such a beautiful post! I am SO grateful for you too. More than I can exude by just saying the words "I am grateful for you." You are so brave and full of wisdom and you have helped me so much. Thanks for creating such a safe network of women through your blog. You are a trail-blazer and are influencing so many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that quote is perfect. i'm grateful for your friendship! we needa get an idaho camp scabs on SOON

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, April. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we had thanksgiving over here!! It sounds AMAZING :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading your blog for over a month now. Its been one of my only comforts. Trying to moce forward with a life full of mess is incredibly hard.

    ReplyDelete

hi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting